Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Who Knew?

 

"So I think all guys get the “shiver” when they pee. Sometimes it’s so strong that I end up peeing on the floor. What causes this and do women get it too? It's like about ½ way through peeing you just get a spontaneous "shiver". It's not cold, usually starts in the shoulders or belly and ends quickly. Could be a good question for the blog."



I admit, I have never experienced this but, apparently, many people have. It's so common that even NBC News did a story on it. Called "micturition convulsion syndrome," and it's more common for men.

Who knew?

In a 3-minute video at Men's Health, Griffiths University medical research fellow Matt Barton, PhD, explains the phenomenon could be from heat loss as the urine leaves the body, or it could be due to the drop in blood pressure.

"When urine leaves the body, oddly we get a drop in blood pressure, which then causes activation of the sympathetic nervous system to increase the heart rate and vascular tone, which then restores the drop in blood pressure. This results in a mixed signal between the two components of the autonomic nervous system, which is thought to trigger an involuntary shiver. So this may explain why men are more prone to pee shivers than women; because they stand to pee. Therefore they are more prone to a drop in blood pressure, and more shivering."



The drop in blood pressure is also responsible for men fainting (or blacking out) when they wake in the middle of the night to pee. That one is called "micturition syncope," and I have experienced this one. Went down like a ton of bricks. When I came to, I sat on the floor until my wife came in to help me up. Busted the TP holder right off the wall and banged myself up pretty good. Thought I'd had a stroke. Got in to see my doctor in the morning who explained what happened.






He suggested if I get up in the middle of the night, standing might not be the way to go.

14 comments:

SickoRicko said...

Wow, one really does learn something new every day.

Anonymous said...

Why they use diuretics for hypertension as well. That water has to go somewhere.

Mistress Maddie said...

I have never experienced this myself but the explanation makes sense.

Hooter from Owls Rest said...

When going to take a leak in the middle of the night I usually sit down so am sure to hit the right spot.

In the pictures some of the men pull their shorts down under the cheeks of their ass. How man men out there do the same thing? Ours hang out, around home, when we go because we are usually nude.

Your French Patrick said...

I had never felt these sensations and I had never heard of them.
Interesting.
Hugs and bisous my darlings Jean and Pat.
Have a great day.

Big Dude said...

I can't say this has happened to me. I'm lucky, I guess.

whkattk said...

@ Hooter - I've witnessed this a few times in men's rooms. For me, not below the butt cheeks but certainly low enough (at least in front) to let the balls get some fresh air.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ohhh
Really? Good to know. I'd freak out if I half faint in the middle of the night!!

LOL

XOXO

JeanWM said...

Nope, never had it and I've never heard of any of my female friends having that same issue. (Just with the seat being left up, grr)
Thanks Pat this falls into the category of "who knew?" How about that France World Cup team, French Patrick!!!
Big game on Sunday! Hugs and Bisous.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the shiver might be part of prostate stimulation by the urine flowing through it and the release of tension from the sense of relie from voiding: many men get shaking of the body with a prostate-centred orgasm and a shiver is a more minor form of shake. Just a thought.

Erick said...

so as an update, I want to say it is a very pleasurable feeling. It is not at all cold, and it's almost like a mini climax, I don't get it when I sit to pee.
It varies in intensity, but I think I have always done it. Thought all guys did

whkattk said...

@ Jean - That was the one "piece of advice" my mom gave me before my first wedding. But, I'm actually a stickler for the lid being down - before the flush. Hugs and bisous.

Xersex said...

never experienced either shivering or fainting. However, interesting.

uptonking said...

Never heard of this. Interesting. I shiver after using up a lot of adrenaline. Then I get very cold, too. It happens after playing piano in public.