Thursday, August 3, 2023

Any Info

 

"I’ve been reading the blog for about 3 years now and have made a couple of anonymous comments with an abbreviated signature of BWC. 

The strong family history of prostate cancer has caught up with me. I tried to stave it off with frequent solo and partner sex, but the genes have over-ruled. While my grandfather died at 66 from it, medical technology has moved on sufficiently so that my father is still alive at 82—20 years after diagnosis—and I expect to do similar with medicine having moved even further.

 

I recently had a trans-perineal biopsy and have been warned that I’ll have blood in the urine for about a week, and blood in my ejaculate for up to 6 weeks. It’s this last that I’m asking about. Reaching climax and watching blood red semen erupt onto my abdomen is disturbing enough for me, but for a sexual partner it’s too much. Sure I can wear a condom, but then it still looks pretty gross. Is there a way to clear the blood more quickly than 6 weeks? Would masturbating more often help to clear it, or would that just exacerbate the problem by keeping things inflamed down there? I’ve done a preliminary internet search, but keep getting the 6 week answer without any other information.

 

If you or your readers would be interested in a full account of how a trans-perineal biopsy is done from the patient perspective, I’d be happy to provide one.

 

Also, I would encourage all your readers with a prostate to be screened regularly from the age of 50, or if there is a family history, from 40.

 

Our next family challenge is to get hold of our cousins (male and female) and let them know for themselves and also for their boys. The most difficult conversation will be with my mtf trans niece who doesn’t want to think about her “boy bits”.

 

Thank you for the blog and the mix of fun, serious, whacky, and sexy. ~ Beeswaxcandle"






First, sorry you're having to go through this. Genes can be a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. So your warning to others is well-founded. They should begin with a PSA blood test, a DRE (digital rectal exam) and keep an eye out for blood in the semen.


As far as ejaculations during the healing process, I was unsuccessful in finding the information other than what you found. That said --- and bearing in mind I am not a physician --- it would seem to me that the spasms would only aggravate the tissue and cause a longer healing process.


Think of it as having a cut on your body - picking at it will only increase the healing time. So, as sad as it may seem, I would avoid cumming for the six-week time frame to allow the tissue to heal.




If anyone can provide any information on the healing process, it would be greatly appreciated.

13 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ok, so I had a biopsy done once and it IS scary to see blood in your cum.
The doctor said it was not biggie and that I should drink tons of water to help flush things away and that I could have sex in three to four days. After the first or second orgasm, the blood is not really noticeable, BTW.

XOXO

Anonymous said...

I'm a prostate cancer survivor - surgery (2018) and salvage radiation (2020). Never had a transperineal biopsy but had six transrectal biopsies (2005, '11, '12, '14, '16, 17). I would think effect on the prostate is the same. I did NOT wait six weeks; in my experience, the more orgasms you have, the quicker your body clears the blood out of the prostate. My ejaculate went from dark red (think used motor oil with coffee grounds in it; really gross, freaked out my wife), gradually becoming paler red-brown, then tan, and then normal white. Rarely took six weeks - more like three or four, if you're cleaning your pipes regularly. Stroke away!

Your French Patrick said...

I can't say it better than you.
Thank you for these beautiful photos.

Hugs and kisses, my darlings Jean and Pat.
Have a great day.

SickoRicko said...

There's always the option of calling his urologist and asking that person.

Daddy Scruff (Mark) said...

I wish I had some type of information for you. All I can really offer is my wish for a speedy and health recovery.

Hummel said...

Best wishes to you and hope for a good biopsy result.
The information available on masturbation, sex and ejaculation when you've had prostate procedures is frustratingly scarce.
I had a TURP 8 weeks ago because of prostate enlargement, fortunately my tissue sample was free from malignancy.
Whilst I know it's a very different procedure, the vague advice was to avoid sex for 3 weeks, I had blood in urine for 4 weeks, and only now after 8 weeks has the stinging when urinating gone. Today I had my first morning wood since the operation.
I'm not able to ejaculate at all now. Until now masturbation has caused a soreness in the prostate lasting the next day.

To remind readers that PSA results can be high if the test is done after sex. Also that digital examination isn't definitive because not all of the prostate can be felt through the anus.

Look after yourselves and enjoy what you've got while you've got it.

uptonking said...

Oh, dear. Sorry for all this man's troubles. Hope all goes well.

Big Dude said...

My sympathy to the man who's going through that agony. Strides have indeed been made in the last twenty years, but prostate cancer has yet to be declared eradicated...stay strong, man, and obey your doc's advice/orders. We males have to have one another's backs in situations like this.

JeanWM said...

With folks living longer, there are more cases found, which means doctors have a lot of experience dealing with prostate cancer over the years. I remember when the PSA test first came out. You will surely benefit too, hope all goes well.
Thanks Pat for keeping this information out front for everyone often.
Hugs and bisous

Anonymous said...

How have couples managed with womens menstruation if a little blood in semen freaks people out?

John said...

I concur with the other commenters. I waited about a week, maybe a bit longer because I was so freaked out by the thought of blood in my cum. I finally took matters to hand and stroked one out in the shower. It was crazy to experience it, but not painful. Mine was the color of Hershey's syrup the first time but improved to normal in about two weeks.
You'll be fine, but I'm not sure I'd want that experience with someone I'm not fully involved with. My husband was completely supportive, but admitted it wasn't pretty.

fullmoonma said...

My first experience with prostate biopsies happened after an elevated routine PSA test the morning after a vigorous bottoming experience in my 60's. Several subsequent biopsies later, my Harvard Medical School urologist said the wonky cells he saw were very unlikely to turn into cancer, in his experience and that further testing was a waste of effort. A few years later, in my 70's my GP discontinued PSA and DRE tests telling me I had aged out of testing protocol. At age 76 I developed some low grade fevers and started losing weight. Lots of tests and several months later he finally ordered a PSA test that strongly indicated prostate cancer. Several interesting imaging tests determined there was a marble sized cancer in my prostate which was zapped out of existence by cyber knife radiation the following winter. Subsequent PSA tests have been very good so mine is a prostate cancer treatment success story.

The point of this history is that in this center of medical excellence in a first class HMO, providers don't always ask the right questions. Discontinuing the PSA test probably was a mistake, even if supported by statistics.

Big Dude said...

@anonymous: Blood in semen is NOT "normal," and men should be concerned if it is found.