Monday, June 6, 2011

No Wind in the Sail...

No lead in the pencil…

Whatever you want to label it, it’s a frustrating sense for us guys. Last year, I found out my testosterone levels were below 100; normal is between 600 and 800. I called my pharmacist to order my refill and a week later I was still waiting. I had to place a second call. Evidently, the doctor’s authorization came through late in the day, and though he told himself he’d fill the prescription first thing in the morning and then call me, he promptly forgot. So, finally, I stopped this afternoon to pick it up and he apologized for the 100th time. I told him, “No problem, Matt, I managed to limp through the week.”

He let out with a weak “Heh, heh.” Pause. The lightbulb turned on. “Oh! I’m really sorry. Totally my fault.”

“If you can’t get a proper grip on the snake, how can you clean the pipes?”

He laughed. “Well, we all need a little break from that once in a while, right?”

“Yeah. Right,” I deadpanned. “When I called this morning, if you had told me the doc still hadn’t sent the okay, I would’ve been on the phone to him real quick asking if he realized what he was doing to me. He wouldn’t like it, if it were his boys complaining!”
“Yeah, you’re right. I really do apologize.”

Matt’s a good guy and I’m glad I’ve got a pharmacist like him; one I can joke with about these things.

Feeling exhausted by mid-day and you know it’s not because of hard labor? Feeling a bit down – mentally, that is? Find that more and more days go by between flogging the log? Or maybe it’s been so long you can’t even remember the last time you kicked back for a little mano-e-mano? It could be low testosterone.

Along with a lack of energy, and a waning interest in entertaining mini-me, low testosterone can make your dick hang like a flag on a windless day. And age doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with Low T. It can be a number of contributing factors. If you think the above statements describe you, go see your doctor and get your T-levels checked. You’d be surprised at what a difference it can make.

I had a choice between the patches, injections every 6 weeks (or so), or a bio-identical cream. The patches can be a hassle; you can develop a redness so you need to move them to a new spot each day. And even if you aren’t Sasquatch, try to find 7 totally hairless spots on your body. The injections? Well, they give a great boost to the boner in the first week and then it starts to wear off, wear down, and by the time you go back for another shot what stood up like a healthy tree trunk, now hangs as limp as a cooked noodle.
I chose the cream; thus my relationship with Matt who told me when he first filled it that I would definitely notice a difference within a day or two, as he pumped his forearm into an upright position and finished by saying, “If you get my drift.”  And I can say with conviction, he was right. Every day I rub ¼ teaspoonful into alternating hips/butt-cheeks after I shower giving a good healthy boost to the minúte amount my balls produce overnight. I guess the only downside to the cream would be that within a few days you know it’s been depleted. Find a pharmacist you can talk to, one who will understand and sympathize with the ramifications of not getting your T regularly. ‘Cause if you miss a few days, it ain’t gonna kill you, but there isn’t going to be any ‘ramming’ of anything going on. Not even through a closed fist.
And what’s the fun in that? You'd much rather go for the gold, I'm sure. I know I would.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

T does work for most guys, though leading-edge therapists will often prescribe HCG in addition, to prevent testicular atrophy. One place to learn about the fine points of T therapy is musclechatroom.com.

But there are cases when T doesn't work, reflecting the fact that hormone therapy can be quite complex. Having had (& recovered) from celiac disease, I found myself having to learn some of those complexities, esp. the role of adrenals and thyroid as the foundation of the endocrine system.

1) supporting adrenal hormones: cortisol, DHEA, possibly aldosterone. Note esp. DHEA: it's cheap, often acts as an anti-depressant, and is a boner builder. I prefer sublingual tabs.

2) supporting thyroid: you may need T4, and some T3, to push metabolism up to where it should be. (Thyroid can be crashed by environmental toxins and undesirable foods like gluten and soy). I aim for TSH~=1.0 and FT3~=3.8 pg/ml. If your FT3 is good, don't worry about FT4.

Of course all this may be irrelevant if you have pituitary problems. Fortunately, that is relatively rare.

whkattk said...

Some very good info, Anon! Thanks for sharing it with the readers.

As always, guys, if there's problems with the tool...go see a good mechanic; If your regular doc can't help, go see a urologist.