Thursday, June 6, 2019

After a Heart Attack

French Patrick wondered, in a comment to yesterday's post, if playing hooky might be contagious. I'm not sure but it may be a lingering malady. 😁 I was mightily tempted to do so again today....until
From the Mail Bag

"I'm in my mid-50s and married. I had a heart attack and spent a few days in the hospital. When the doctor made his last visit his instructions included mentioning that I should hold off on any sex for a while. It's been three weeks and my nuts feel like they're going to explode. My wife still won't accomodate me. Not even a hand job or a blow job. Do you think it's okay for me to jerk off?"



Sadly, few men get counseled about any sex after a heart attack, or other major illnesses. See, we guys have to be our own health advocates and ask.
But, um...let's see. Your doctor did give you advice and suggested you avoid sex. The heart rate increases dramatically with the exertion. You didn't say how severe the heart attack was, but even when we masturbate it can be a bit of a cardio workout. But, the most recent studies as reported in this 2015 article in the LA Times, sex or masturbation after a heart attack is not necessarily bad.

"Sexual activity, including masturbation, does not seem to touch off heart attacks in patients with established cardiovascular disease, and need not be avoided by those who have already suffered a heart attack."

A 2013 CNN report suggested "Masturbation can be a healthy way of easing back into things, too." And, this article at dummies.com backs that up, "The best treatment for fear of sex after a heart attack is reassurance by your physician or cardiologist. ... One way to overcome fear is to make masturbation the first step and slowly work your way up to intercourse."


I'm going to say, if it's been three or four weeks since you returned home that taking things in hand may be okay.
A note of caution: I am not a physician. You may want to place a call to your cardiologist and have his nurse pose the question to him. Seriously, this is a question they've heard before - there's no reason to be embarrassed.

7 comments:

Your French Patrick said...

To hold off stands for to suspend, and to avoid stands for to do as few often as possible. It's not the same thing.
We cannot answer while we even not know, for instance, if he has a pacemaker or not. We are not to be substitutes for his cardiologist.
Hugs and bisous, my darling Jean and Pat.

SickoRicko said...

Great post and great advice!

Rad said...

"9-1-1, what is your emergency"
"I'm beating off and about to cum! Send an ambulance!"

AOM SoulFood said...

No need to be embarrassed, ask your doctor if it is okay. I hope you are doing well and having fun, bro. Wishing you all the very best! Hugs, Licks, and Strokes, AOM

Xersex said...

masturbation is so relaxing!!!

JoyLovePeaceHappiness said...

One CAN masturbate without getting the heart rate sky high. A slow and steady, well lubed rub down can get me off without the physicality being too bad.
I had heart surgery (oblation for arrhythmia) and it took a couple of weeks to even get an erection, then another week to get the nerve to ejaculate, but it sure felt good. Oh man, oh man!!! I felt like I could breathe again.

Bruce Jensen said...

Your cardiologist and your surgeon are the people to ask. Start with your cardiologist. They will have an access number that you can call if you have questions. More to the point they will have the knowledge to give a proper answer
Your GP can get you in touch with these people. Make sure your wife is with you at any appointments. This effects both of you. Remember you scared the hell out of her. She was frightened you were going to die. She certainly doesn't want to risk losing you again.

Bruce had a stroke a few years ago. I held it together for him but I was a basket case. Would he come home? Would he recover? What sort of care would he need? Could we afford it? Our sex life was the furthest thing from my mind.

I think the fact that you want the release the an orgasm will give you is a good sign....GO TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE WITH YOYR QUESTIONS.

-Bryn