Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Hormones and Headaches

It's long been known that migraines and hormones are linked for many women. My own mom suffered for many years until she underwent a complete Historectomy.
Studies are now showing the same in men. And, it appears that Low T (low testosterone) may be the culprit.
Replacement therapy is showing these guys some relief with cluster headaches. "The Connection Between Low T and Headaches," from Healthline details a recent published study.
"A more recent study published in the journal Maturitas looked at the effect of testosterone on migraine headaches in a small group of pre- and postmenopausal women. The researchers found that implanting small testosterone pellets under the skin helped to relieve migraines in both groups of women.
More research is needed to test these findings to learn if testosterone therapy is a safe and effective treatment for some types of headaches. It’s possible that testosterone might help prevent or relieve headaches by:
  • stopping cortical spreading depression (CSD), a disruption of electrical activity in your brain that may cause migraines
  • increasing levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that carries messages from one part of your brain to another
  • widening blood vessels in your brain, which can help improve blood flow
  • reducing swelling in your brain
T replacement hasn't been FDA approved for treating headaches, but you can still talk to your doctor about using it as an experimental treatment. Because, chances are, if you have Low T, you're also suffering with flagging erections and low libido.
If you've noticed fewer mornings with solid boners, a lower number of spontaneous boners, and boners which are not quite up to par, and those symptoms last longer than a few weeks...if the issue is not anxiety, depression, or illness, Low T could be the problem.


But, I would caution any guy looking for testosterone replacement therapy to go for a bio-identical cream. There are way fewer side effects than the typical stuff prescribed by physicians.
You may have to bicker with your insurance provider to convince them to cover the cream but, in the long run, it will be worth it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm teasing 80 and have never had a headache. I've no idea what that is. My T is close to 500. Still hard as a rock. Length and girth have not decreased with age. Woke up today with a raging boner. I believe there are other contributing factors. I've always been normal wight and lots of exercise.

AOM SoulFood said...

Great info, buddy. Thanks for all you bring to us. I hope all is well with you and yours. Wishing you a bonerific day! Hugs, Licks, and Strokes, AOM

Anonymous said...

Nice visuals! And that is interesting about the cream. You always have great and helpful information.

SickoRicko said...

I never knew this was a thing.

André said...

I'm 83, my T level has gone up every year since I was 76. From sensible for that age to the top level enjoyed by a 26 years old guy now. My doctor could not explain why. Well, I asked Google. I typed "testosterone", but that would bring warnings about cancer, etc. Then seing the head of the Dalaï Lama in a vision, I added "meditation". That brought me to a site of bodybuilding !!! meant for guys who exercise without drugs. It tells them to meditate every day to increase their T.

Our local gay group (in Lausanne, Switzerland) provides a regular meditation session conducted by a psychologist. And my T level started climbing the scale when I joined. My health recipe is: wild meditation (I don't follow the "rules"), two or three weekly yoga courses, swimming in Lake Geneva from February to November. The result: no flu, no colds, no head aches.