Morning
Last week, Maddie left a comment about Salt Peter as a joke. I thought, why not a post about that myth --- it's one they used to tell new recruits in the military, "There's saltpeter in the food, to keep your pecker down."
Of course, it's not true. Saltpeter was not an abundant ingredient in the chow hall food. But, of course, even if there was, it does not prevent erections. Nor does it douse the libido.
Food Grade Sodium Nitrate is used for curing or smoking meats - like bacon, sausage, and corned beef (yum!).
Here's a spiffy YouTube video that pretty much explains how the myth started and spread.
Enjoy your day!










11 comments:
All I remember about "Salt Peter" was Bette Midler saying it before launching into "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" on her "Divine Miss M" album. .
OMG
So interesting! To tell you the truth, I thought the myth was real.
XOXO
Good info!
I didn't know if it was real or not....but could you imagine anything keeping my cock down?????
Like the “placebo effect” the mind is a powerful thing. Hot everywhere. Hugs and bisous
Mmmm-mmmm
Well these hard boys you pictured don’t seem to be suffering from the supposed effects of saltpeter.
Mae West 💋
LOL. I love that album!
Many people believe it.
XOXO
Never, Mads!!! Never!!!!
My grandpa used to joke about that myth too... for him, it never worked!! I asked my dad what the effect was, and he asked Grandpa out loud; Grandpa pointed at my cousin Alec, who always got a semi during his shower!!!
The easiest way to prevent scrutiny of something is to distract attention to something else you can readily debunk. That saltpeter was debunked as being used to lower libido doesn't necessarily mean that something else wasn't.
Post a Comment