Thursday, October 17, 2024

Feeling Unsafe

 

Good morning.

"I have the most awful time trying to take a leak in a men's room. It's not only having some dude at the next urinal. Most guys adhere to the etiquette, and if there are only two urinals they'll go use a stall. It's that the urinals are situated in such a manner as to force men to have their backs to the door. I get the cost-saving factor, but it always creeps me out. Anyone else deal with this?"



Oh, I get it. It's a total quirk for me, too, but it extends well beyond restrooms. I cannot sit with my back to a door. Not in my office when I worked. Not in my office at home. Not in a restaurant. Nothing untoward was (is) going on that I'm trying to hide. I don't remember being attacked from behind in any situation, yet I still feel unsafe.



I have no idea where this phobia comes from, how to combat it or overcome it.

On the other hand, I feel perfectly safe being naked in a gym, spa, getting a massage, or at a clothing-optional beach.




 Go figure.
Readers? Anyone care to offer reasoning or a solution?

No comments: