Thursday, April 4, 2024

Lessons in... Chemistry

 

Good morning.

In my residual anesthesia stupor over the weekend, when I was too lazy to do anything else, we watched the Apple TV mini-series, Lessons in Chemistry. Starring Brie Larson, it's based on the 2022 novel by Bonnie Garmus. She was 65 years old when she wrote it.

I give it  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐.

Then we found out, there's an "unofficial" companion cookbook, so you can make the food the character makes in the book / series. Because cooking is chemistry, and it's the only way she's allowed to showcase her knowledge. Fascinating. So, Lessons in Chemistry is the struggle of 1950s - 60s women to be accepted into professions outside the "norms" of the time.


I've also ordered the novel James, by Percival Everett, which is the story of Huck Finn told from Jim's perspective. This is the same author whose 2001 book, Erasure, became this year's Oscar-nominated film, American Fiction. Since I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as a kid (numerous times), this is going to be an eye-opener.  Sadly, for me, it won't get here until next week. Happily for Everett, it's selling faster than they can send them out.


Some day, I expect my buddy's work to reach that level. He has a new play that will be getting a public reading later this month. And a new novel he's preparing to send out to the publisher.




15 comments:

Your French Patrick said...

I will never be able to read that much books over the course of a weekend. Bravo.

Hugs and bisous, my darlings Jean and Pat.
Have a great day.

SickoRicko said...

Quite a plateful!

Rad said...

I caught the segment with Percival Everett on CBS Sunday Morning; it was marvelous!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/writer-percival-everett-on-his-novel-james-race-and-language/

Rad

whkattk said...

@ MFP - It's only one book.... 😊 Hugs and bisous.

whkattk said...

@ Rick - 😉😁

whkattk said...

@ Rad - Excellent interview, wasn't it?

uptonking said...

Sounds like you have been and will be busy reading. I find it to be very beneficial. It takes one out of the world and drops you in another. Escapism has its benefits. And reading? So healthy. Kizzes.

Jean said...

I read the book “lessons in chemistry”, imagine my surprise when Netflix took it on.
Hugs and bisous.

Xersex said...

#2 he's Kennedy Carter (Victor%20Fraser)

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Love it when they adapt good books and they become great series/movies.

XOXO

whkattk said...

@ upton - I do love to read...all kinds of stuff.

whkattk said...

@ Jean - Have thought about buying the book - just to see what may have been left on the (virtual) cutting room floor. Hugs and bisous.

Rad said...

@ Whkattk - Yes! I was quite spellbound!

Your French Patrick said...

Hugs and bisous, my darlings Jean and Pat.
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

So many photos of naked guys cooking without an apron when spattering hot fat or liquid can sting so much. Is it some kind of macho thing or are these photos posed for effect temporarily?

No photos of naked women cooking without an apron though.

Not complaining about the photos of course, just thinking about practicality.